How to Coach Your Birth Client through the Dilemma of Epidural- Before, During and After Childbirth
This one hour webinar first aired in celebration of World Doula Week, March 2015. In light of the high percentage of birthing moms who ends up using epidural in their childbirth, it is time doulas learn to conduct the epidural conversation. This conversation should take place prenatally. It is also important for every doula to know how to coach her clients through moments of doubt and crisis in order to to avoid epidural during birth. However, when the mother exhausted her ability to cope with labor pain, it’s time for her doula to make a shift in her coaching strategy. Learn how to best coach and support your client’s progress after the administration of epidural, and how to facilitate acceptance and clarity about the mother’s decision to use epidural, during the postpartum visit.
Testimonial: “I absolutely LOVED your “Epidural” webinar! Thank you, very much! There were amazing tips I’ll want to use… Half of my clients had epidurals, and I’m afraid that I didn’t do everything for them that I could have. After the epidurals were administered, I wasn’t much use to them, and I think my closure visits were weak. At any rate: THANK YOU, VERY MUCH! In the doula spirit, Britt Hatch.
1. Learn how to recognize and create the opening moments for a coaching conversation which will evoke a change.
2. Learn how to structure your coaching conversation, following the GROW model of coaching.
3. Study potential scenarios in which the dilemma of epidural might show up, and learn how to tap on your Client’s motivation and commitment in order to lead her through them,
4. Become familiar with the different domains of coaching for childbirth – the prenatal domain, the hands- on coaching and the domain of closure.
5. Learn how to integrate the BRAIN model of medical interventions into your prenatal coaching.
6. Don’t miss my very own coaching technique around pain, a complete refute of the horror myth of ’24 hours of pain’ by using 3rd grade math!
In addition to the information regarding epidural, you will learn the basic terminology and principles of coaching, which you can integrate in your doula practice.